Swindon was mentioned in the Domesday book back in the 1086. It was only tiny villiage then.
By the 13th century Swindon became a small market town. The Goddard family was in Swindon before the 15th Century on an estate at the Lawns, Thomas Goddard of Upham acquired the Manor in 1563 and his descendant family became Lords of the Manor up until the 20th century.
Swindon for many years from the 16th to 17th century was governed by the vestry,
50 miles of water ways were linked togethe which reached Swindon in 1804. A canal was built in 1810 which brought more trade, and soon saw the coming of the railway. In 1840 the Great Western Railway was here which gave a sudden growth to the town, becoming the largest town in Wiltshire. Over half of Swindon males population worked here for the next 100 years. 1924 was the highest employment ever in the GWR Railway Works, with 14,369 people employed. GWR in Swindon closed in 1986.
In the 1860s, Regent Street and Queen Street were built, along with Henry Street, Reading Street and Oxford Street, Wellington Street, Gloucester Street and Cheltenham Street. In the 1870s more houses were built in North Street, Western Street, Dover Street and Prospect Hill.
Also, built were Haydon Street, Mill Street, Carfax Street, Oriel Street, Merton Street and Turl Street.
1970s brought Vilett Street, Carr Street. Dixon and Stafford Street.
By 1881 the population of Swindon exceeded 15,000. But it was still 2 settlements, the old town and the new town, divided by fields.
1872 brought Swindon's first sewage farm. 1877 the first public toilets was opened. 1853, Swindon houses had piped water direct from the Canel. This changed to fresh water supply in 1868.
By the early 20th century there were about 14,000 men working in the railway works at Swindon.
1900, Manchester Road was built and the new town and old town become joined.
Soon after Westlecott Road, Okus Road and Kingshill Road, Newcastle Street, Plymouth Street, Portsmouth Street and York Road. A hospital was also opened in Gorse Hill.
Electricity came to Swindon in 1903, and tram system was built a year later and stayed around until 1929. The town had been lit by gas since 1851.
1910 brought Swindon's first cinema and in 1914 the canal was finally filled in.
Pinehurst was built in 1919-1925 which was one of the first council houses were built after World war 1.
1939 More houses were built at Rodbourne Cheney, Churchward Avenue, Northern Road, Headlands Grove, Malvern Road, Burford Avenue and Walcot Road. The Roads south of Kingshill Road were built. Moredon and Rodbourne Cheney was built in the 1950's
1952 Swindon became an overspill town for London. Over 14,000 people moved in to the town.
Penhill was built in the 1950s along with Walcot East, Park North and Park South. The manor house at the Lawns was demolished in 1952. Queens Drive was built in 1953. Fleming Way was built in 1965. Swindon's famous 'Magic roundabout' was built in 1972.
PMH (Princess Margaret hospital) was first open in 1959, but the main block didnt open until 1966. Casualty department opened in 1974.
Mid 1960's brought Covingham housing estate and a private estate was built at Nythe.
1964, the town centre started getting built which later become pedestrianised in 1976. The Brunel Centre was built in the 1970's. Oasis leisure centre opened in 1976.
Greenbridge retail centre was being built in 1996.
www.swindonlive.co.uk | Powered by SebsWorld | 21 August 2019